2010 certainly wasn't a year of variety for music....that's not to say that this is a bad thing, but it isn't really a good thing either. So with that in mind I've decided to post what I believe are the top 10 most overplayed songs of the year. Allow me to first explain what I mean by overplayed. Overplayed (in this post) will refer to a song that has been played to the point where it takes away from the quality of the song itself, where you begin to dislike it do to its over-popularity. This list is based on my own opinions and is not based on any specific statistics, just me....
10. Dynamite-Taio Cruz-For some reason this song gets so much radio play, I mean its not a "bad" song, it's just I'm still not sure what this song is really about.
9. I Like It (feat. Pitbull)-Enrique Iglesias-This song was actually pretty refreshing the first time around. It brought two of Latin-America's more popular artists in for an instant club banger. Unfortunately the energy it brought had to wear down eventually.
8. Imma Be-Black Eyed Peas-The Black Eyed Peas always seem to bring an interesting blend of genres in their music. This one however just seemed to maintain its popularity just for the fact that they are the Black Eyed Peas and there is no way any other group could have pulled it off.
7. Bottoms Up (feat. Nicki Minaj)-Trey Songz-There's nothing the kids love more than two of the hottest artists in the scene rapping about what I guess is cool nowadays...getting fucked up. I found this song kind of catchy the first few times, but that was short lived when Nicki Minaj's voice started to disturb me.
6. Hey, Soul Sister-Train-Again this song was very refreshing, brought something different to radio stations. But it became "too popular" (if there is such thing). Not only was it on nearly every radio station, it was all over TV commercials, and was even the top iTunes song sold for 2010.
4. Break Your Heart (feat. Ludacris)-Taio Cruz-Another great club banger by Taio Cruz. This song dominated almost every song request list there is and was the top of the charts for a good while. Again not to take any credit away from this song, but it was one of those songs that you couldn't escape even if you tried.
3. California Gurls (feat. Snoop Dogg)-Katy Perry-There is nothing funner than hot 26 year old Katy Perry's duet with 40 year old Snoop Dogg's on "Bikinis and Zucchinis". Again not a bad song, but just an overall shallow song for middle school dances
2. Love The Way You Lie (feat. Rihanna)-Eminem-This will be the first time I voice my personal opinion on the "new" Eminem. I'm not sure how many readers have listened to the "old" Eminem, but he was very notorious for his attacks on "pop stars" such as Brittney Spears, Christina Aguilera, etc. So now he does this collaboration with the biggest "pop star" of today....Rihanna...About 8 years ago, I never would have imagined he would do such a thing. So this song apparently then becomes Eminem's biggest song in his career. So now its easy to see that everyone likes the "new" Eminem better than the "old" one. I won't say that I dislike the "new" Em, but I'll mention this much; the "old" Em had several times more songs than this "new" one.
1. OMG (feat. Will. I. Am)- Usher-Lets look back early in the 2010...some of the top songs included, Tik Tok, Bedrock, Bad Romance, and at that point, those were songs that released late in 2009. So people were anxious for something big to hit the airwaves. Usher's released his new CD (Raymond vs. Raymond) late of March 2010....but there was one song no one could get enough of. OMG was not only the top of American charts, it was an international phenomenon, It was top of the charts in UK, New Zealand, Australia, and Ireland. The song seemed to be a near perfect blend of dance, pop, hip hop, R&B. It was on nearly every station, it was literally everywhere (I am not kidding, this song would literally be playing on three different stations at the same time on several occasions). At this point the song seems to have faded away, however it is hard to find a song that reached this amount of popularity.
Some Underplayed Songs...
Raise Your Glass-Pink
Please Don't Go-Mike Posner